Facilitation Skills Development
Summary: Facilitation Skills Development assists emerging leaders to develop tools with which to conduct peer or client meetings and other facilitated sessions more smoothly, effectively and successfully. It is designed to help improve the willingness and ability of the leader/facilitator to connect with—and get the best from—their audience. Self-awareness is key: We can’t change what don’t know we don’t know. It addresses the skills and strategies needed to establish rapport, build mutual trust, and draw out meaningful, productive interaction.
Facilitation Skills digs deep to help participants explore and eventually break through the barriers that may be preventing them from feeling comfortable and confident communicating in front of people. Through discussion, role-playing and practice, the class leads them to refine their own communication style. Most importantly, the class teaches them how to highlight their strengths while mitigating their weaknesses. They learn to view themselves and their interactions differently, and new ways of viewing produce new ways of doing.
The focused, three-day EQ for Leaders© program bridges the gap between theory and action shifting the common, external “how-to” perspective of leadership to that of character, internal motivation, and a sustained long-term approach to nurturing talents and skills.
I Have Been to Similar Workshops And They Did Not Accomplish What This Class Did. The One On One Aspect Was Extremely Beneficial To Me.
~Jim Hill, Bank Of America
More than improving presentation skills, this workshop goes deeper. Communication alone is not enough to produce effective collaboration. The bridge of connection—of trust—must be established and FSD leads participants through the necessary components of trust building. They examine why they do what they do and discover techniques to curtail the unconscious behaviours that derail collaborative efforts. Rather than lecture and demonstrate, the class is experiential in nature, giving participants critical “behind the wheel” learning in how to drive the best results from their teams. Group size is limited to a maximum of 10 participants to allow for detailed, individual attention and plenty of practice time for all.
Too Many Facilitation Courses Are Based on Teaching Participants Some “Ideal” Model. This Approach—Finding the Authentic or Genuine Style In You And Facilitating Within Your Abilities And Perspectives—Is The Most Natural, Logical And Common-Sense Method That I Have Ever Come Across.
~Tony Marzotto, The Ministry Of Transportation, Toronto
Facilitation Skills Development teaches you and/or your team how to:
- Become more effective speakers, facilitators or trainers
- Dismantle the personal defense mechanisms that get in the way of your message
- Disarm potentially difficult participants, clients, or situations
- Make your strengths and weaknesses work for you
- Lead meetings more effectively
- Increase ability to spark change in others
- Improve communication and trust-building skills
- Build self-confidence
Facilitated by Cynthia Barlow, author, coach, facilitator and Prompta Partner Cynthia has delivered workshops and leadership development programs to Fortune 500 companies like TD Bank, Bell, Bank of America, Amex and FirstData, for over 20 years.
Recent Blog Posts
- Increasing the Return on Investment of Enterprise Software Through Coordinated Change Management and Learning
- Gender Pronouns: Are they a fad or here to stay?
- Different Festivities for a Different Time!
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a Huge Competitive Advantage (Part 7)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – The Transformational Journey is Filled with Potholes (Part 6)